Sciatica FAQs: Get Informed with Our Midtown Manhattan Chiropractor
At Balanced Health Medical, Manhattan chiropractor Dr. Sidney Inkelis, and Dr. John Calabria, along with Doctor of Physical Therapy Gayle Ann Aldian, meets people every day struggling with sciatica pain and dysfunction. Read on to learn about this syndrome and discover how the staff at Balanced Health Medical can help you find lasting relief.
What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica refers to compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve, which branches off from the spinal cord in the lower back area.
The medical community describes sciatica as a syndrome (a collection of symptoms), rather than a specific condition. This is because sciatica can have one of several causes and varies from individual to individual. The most common causes of sciatica include:
- A herniated or bulging disc that compresses around the nerve root
- Degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, spondylosis (arthritis of the spine), and any other condition which causes narrowing of the space around the sciatic nerve root
- A bone cyst or tumor in the spine (more rare)
What are the Risk Factors for Sciatica?
Risk factors for sciatica include:
- Advancing age
- Frequent bending and heavy lifting, especially at work
- Sitting too much
- Trauma, like car accidents and falls
How Do I Know if I Have Sciatica?
People with sciatica usually experience pain in one or both legs. This pain, which can be burning, dull, achy, throbbing, or sharp, may also occur in the lower back, buttocks, and groin.
Other signs and symptoms of sciatica include:
- Numbness and tingling in one or both legs
- Weakness in the leg (e.g., drop foot)
- Low back stiffness
- Pain that gets worse or moves further down the leg with certain movements
Can Chiropractic Care Help Me if I Have Sciatica?
Personalized chiropractic care is an effective and non-invasive option for people looking for relief from sciatica pain. If you're struggling, our Manhattan chiropractic team can help you by providing a range of services that alleviate sciatic nerve compression, restore alignment and stability in the entire spine, accelerate tissue healing, and prevent recurring episodes.
Effective chiropractic care and physical therapy services for sciatica include:
- Non-surgical spinal decompression
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Therapeutic exercises and stretches
- Manual therapy, including joint mobilizations and massage
- Patient and lifestyle education, including personalized insights on body mechanics, pain neuroscience, stress management, nutrition, sleep hygiene, and more
Do You Need Sciatica Treatment in Midtown Manhattan?
Call Balanced Health Medical today at (212)-755-1717 to schedule your consultation with a Midtown Manhattan chiropractor and find freedom from sciatica pain. We proudly serve the NY neighborhoods of 10022 and 10036. Call today!